Friday, August 17, 2012

Ongoing Sweater Progress

I swear this pattern lies. Increase every 5 rows 21 times, then increase every 4 rows 12 times, and then continue in pattern stitch until the sleeve is 21 inches long....

I'm just starting the every four row increases and it's 19 inches long already!!!

I refuse to make stupidly log sleeves. I'm going to keep at it until I get to the end of the decreases, and then I'm casting off right there. I'll tack it to the sweater body once I'm home and check the proportions.

This sweater is going to be ludicrously slouchy and comfy. Though I suppose I'm learning to modify a pattern on the fly... hmm... good to know I am learning something from this, aside from new combinations of swear words for the mind-boggling nature of all things gauge.

Swatches lie. Swatch anyways. It's madness. And I love every minute of it.

--Update--

The pattern is fighting me. I'm about 4 odd rows away from hitting the 21" mark, and I'm a pattern repeat and a half away from finishing the increases. Whoever wrote this thing seems to have a WAY tighter row gauge than I do. That or it's the acrylic being weird. At any rate. I'm going to finish the pattern repeat that I'm on, do one row in the pattern, and then bind off.

That way I can cast on for the next sleeve and have something that I know I can work on seamlessly for the rest of my work shift.

Plan for tonight: tack front and back together, tack sleeve on, and then try it on to test the fit.... Or.... no. I should.... urgh... stupid sleeve is making me doubt myself.

I'm going to beat up this pattern, and beat up my instinct and just.... aaargh.

--Final Update--

Okay, cast off the sleeve, and I'm glad I did. This thing is going to be a hugely comfy saggy boyfriend sweater. But I'm kicking its ass. One sleeve to go and then I get to start putting this thing together. I'm not even scared of picking up to do the collar. I'm totally going to own it.

This pattern has fought me in more ways than I can truly count. But I got The Other Half to talk to it sternly. It'll behave. Or else.

No comments:

Post a Comment