Sunday, August 19, 2012

Knit Outing Report

Ah... I feel so much better for having had some girlie time today. Thanks to Caitzilla, Knitting Broad N, and Princess for coming out and giving me an estrogen fix.

Yarn was shown and fondled. Gossip was shared. Stress relieved. Friends made. Coffee drank. Food eaten. Laughs had. Great time.

This is Princess' sock. She kindly donned it on her arm so I could show off the pretty pattern. It's so gorgeous, and it's such a pity my camera sucks at catching subtle variegation and accurate colour.


This is an action shot of Caitzilla's first sock!


She was knitting very quickly, trying to get through the ribbing part so it wouldn't feel like she was knitting with an octopus. Started her on top down, dpn socks to get the hard stuff out of the way. It's like learning math in elementary, Cait: they teach you the hard way first so you can then learn the short cuts and understand where they came from and why they work so well. So this is the hard part, and every row will get easier, and then you'll be doing lace and cable designs up and down the leg and foot on two-at-a-time magic loop toe up socks. Even if you don't wear socks, they're pretty awesome to work on.

It was unfortunate that Knitting Broad N had to head out before we got to lunch, she did get a lot of work done on the stuffed animal she's working on as a commissioned piece.


This is the bottom of the body. It's going to be a sizeable thing once it's done, but I hope she can keep the proportions equal. That's quite a bit of progress considering we started the afternoon with me ripping it out for her (only done because I could rip it, and she needed the ripping done anyways; learned the hard way that single crocheting twelve times into one stitch doesn't make for a tight backside).

In my own realm of progress: cast on for the second blue sock (no picture yet, it's only three rows past the ribbing, so there's not much of anything to show) and, far more importantly, I washed The Sweater (it's now so notorious it gets the capitals) and I've started seaming it up. It's so soft now that it's been washed, but the back is still way more stretched out than the front. It'll even up eventually; and this thing isn't supposed to be the height of fashion. I'm making sure not to do each stitch at the top of the sleeves to each row on the body. I'm skipping every third row to make sure there isn't any craziness. I have real progress. To be honest, I was going to start it tomorrow morning, but I was just so excited after I got back from girlie time, and then I got to see The Other Half and.... well I'm a sucker for that smile, and the way his eyes light up like a slot machine that hit the jackpot whenever he's happy... so I washed it, and started in on seaming.

Now I need to figure out what to finish next... probably one of the lace things or somesuch... I just have to resist the urge to cast on the entrelac, now that the sweater is almost done. Come on, willpower, work harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment