Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Round Two

Still kind of losing the fight against the apathy bat. Better now that I've slept, but I'm still behind since that revelations post I made a while ago. Problem is: all my efforts are internal so I don't have much of anything to really show for it. What's the quote from one of the Pink Panther movies? "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." And I am, but my gods it's a long hard battle, and I wasn't even at rock bottom. I've just about been there, I've been so close I could see the splash of the rocks I knocked off my ledge. But now I'm partway up, and I found this nice resting spot, and damned if I haven't found the camp I made the last time I was here. So I delude myself into thinking that this is a good place, and I can stay here, even though it's damp and the wind gets in, and there's no protection from the elements.... Urgh. I can't go down this road.

Instead I'm going to turn my focus to some cool things I found out today. Thing one: bananas are radioactive. Slightly. They produce so much potassium that they naturally make a small, insignificant amount of potassium-40, an isotope of potassium that is radioactive. Pretty cool. Thing two: the ripe spots on bananas, when exposed to UV light, fluoresce bright blue. Got to see a picture and everything. It's pretty neat. Then I found out thing three: brazil nuts are four times as radioactive as bananas. But it's all still safe, because you can find all this stuff in a grocery store. People over exaggerate on things like radioactivity without truly understanding it. I find that many people hear about something being radioactive and their minds go to "it must be as dangerous as [insert radioactive disaster here]". It's not. Those were disasters. Hence the name. It was something completely unexpected and/or tragic, and most likely happened due to ignorance. We've learned. We're smarter now. Well... most of us are... Some people I despair of, but that's natural when working in technical support.

Anyways, cool thing number four: there's a fruit out there, that grows naturally in the US, and in a little tiny spit of Canada (the very tip of southern Ontario, actually) that's known as the American Pawpaw. It's a soft fruit, has big black seeds, and is apparently similar to a banana or a canteloupe. (Is it obvious to everyone yet that I was browsing Wiki's list of culinary fruits?) I really really want to try one now. It's indigenous fruit that seems more exotic than any exotic fruit I've been reading about today. Apparently it's so soft it cannot be commercially distributed because of how easy it can bruise, but you might be able to find one in a Farmer's Market. Is there anyone out there, who reads this, who may have tried one? What was it like? Inquiring minds wish to know!

If I can't find my answers here, I'm going to scour everyplace I can think of until I find one. It's just too intriguing not to know about.


Day 20: Do you knit in public? Was anyone offended/incredibly happy/curious that you were doing so?
Yes, whenever I can. I get more comments and questions directed at, or asked of me directly, when I'm in the US. Where I am in Canada, everyone's too damned polite, so they'll talk about it, in a loud voice. Possibly so I can overhear it and decide to jump in (which I do, because I'd rather be asked directly than to be talked about... I mean really, people. I'm right there. I can hear every word you're saying. Just because I'm carrying pointy sticks does not mean I'm scary. I don't even look scary. I look like a plump librarian most of the time... skull and crossbones knitting bag notwithstanding. I won't bite, you can talk to me, and I'm as Canadian as you are, so I'm super polite about it all).

No comments:

Post a Comment