Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Walk of Shame

I fell off the wagon.

I can't believe it happened so soon, but I fell off already. I could make excuses, but they're the excuses made  by addicts the world around: "It was a hard day", "I need it", "I deserve a treat", "It's just once"

It just sucks that I'm addicted to junk food. I haven't opened the bag, yet (Miss Vickie's Original), but I still feel like I failed. I'm confessing this here to hold myself accountable for my actions, my decisions. It hurts, I feel shame. This is a necessary thing though. I am unhealthy, and slowly killing myself because of it. If I don't do something now, what happens in however many years when I'm diabetic, or suffering heart attacks, or an important diagnosis for cancer gets missed because of my weight. I've been doing really well on portion control, and learning to listen to my appetite to know when I'm hungry versus thirsty versus bored/depressed; as well as learning to listen to "I'm full" (that one has been hard). I am trying to walk more, which has been having moderate success, but I know how I have to kick my butt into real action: take responsibility, hold myself accountable.

I will have to cut off yarn purchases if I can't get this sh** under control.

And not do so much damage to my own self-esteem that I drive myself to open that bag for that horrible instant gratification.

Okay, enough of that.

Moving on to knitting: I finished the gusset and am well into the foot. I will have to check my notes again to confirm foot length. These socks may turn out to be a little bit more on they "easy fit" side, but at least I know there won't be distortion around the heel. I always, always forget how BIG man-feet are until I'm actually getting close to the end of the sock and I have to go "Oh yeah... they're supposed to be that huge. Duh".

Speaking of knitting: the official name for the knitting games has been changed. I will now be taking part in The Ravellenic Games. Starting July 17th, I'm going to do as much as I possibly can to get as many things finished by the end of the Olympics. As a result of the name change, the one Team I am on: Team Cluster Cuss needed to have the main team logo updated. I volunteered to brave the waters and bring the subject to the oh-so-creative Other Half. I should have known better than to do so after midnight. I dozed off knowing he might be working on it and was jolted awake at 3 AM with the news that it was worked on and now finished. I was thoroughly impressed because I think that was the fastest he'd ever worked on any piece of art. And it is art.

Wanna see?

Knew it!


Check. It. Out.

A thoroughly cuss-inducing tangle, with a touch of crafty class. So very awesome. The team loves it too. Hoping to see it updated for all kinds of our projects this year.

Oh and Day 4: How did you learn how to knit?

I bartered crochet learnings for knitting learnings from The Best Friend. She'd taught herself through some mystical means (I didn't ask in case it involved piercings with dpns, tattoos in weird places, or needing to burn acrylic or something) and passed that knowledge on to me. My grandmother taught me to crochet. Fair trade. Now I knit socks, and she crochets jellyfish desk companions. We're even.

No comments:

Post a Comment