Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Another day...

Another blog. Both to be read and to be written.

That makes no sense. Ugh. My poor fried little brain. We hates it precious.

Well not really, but I'll pretend for pretend's sake.

I wish I could bring myself to read more, but reading books for myself has just become so... mundane. No, dad, I'm not getting rid of my books, don't even start. I have found, though, a slice of joy in reading my books out loud. Puts The Other Half to sleep in a trice, but it allows me to really absorb the book. I found out that I tend to read really fast if it's just a book for me. My eyes translate letters into mind-pictures so quickly I'll forget I'm actually holding a book. It's great. Probably also the reason why... well one of the many reasons why, I love fiction so much. I get an instant movie playing in my head, that's far, far more enjoyable than many movies I've seen recently, if only because I get to make my own cast. Reading aloud though, has focused me more when I'm going through a book. I can't really do voices well, but my gods does the story come alive for me. It's different, and refreshing, and the background snores it creates are so adorable.

Apparently bus knitting agrees with me in some small way. I pulled the sock out on the bus last night and whipped around it a few times, then let it sit in my bag again. When I measured it this morning, it only needed two rows to get me to the six inches I needed, when before it was firmly, firmly at five and a half. Jerk black hole. Well, it's gone now, and I have to surmount the difficult task of: Sl 1, k1 across; turn, Sl 1, p across. It's so hard! Pfft, I'm just a dunce whenever the temperature goes up.

Read an article today that will be appearing in the journal of sexual health (or something, I lost the link) that was talking about the genetic factor that makes gay men gay. Makes me wish I knew some gay men to talk to them about the article. What it means to them, if it offends, if they themselves have noticed the trend (the chromosome that apparently causes it is inherited through the X, and it's matrilinial, so it causes the women directly related to the gay man to be more successful breeders: more attractive to men, fewer gynecological problems, easier pregnancies, and more likely to have a high birth rate). It was fascinating to me, but for some reason a bit insulting, if only because I have a hard time with the word "gay" being tossed around so blithely. I don't think I have any right to be offended, not being of that persuasion myself, but I don't like a word to be abused: used in a negative connotation for so many, many things, not just people and their sexual predilections. Language abuse is horrible. The article was interesting.

I'm going to go spend a little time being a Trekkie, and enjoy a small amount of cashews (yay on sale!), and then consider dinner, and try to fully put away this weird temper tantrum that has been building up all afternoon for no good reason. It's sad really... a woman of my age (snort. my age. I say that like it's some horrible thing. I'm not even over 30 yet, ffs.*) is still quite susceptible to temper tantrums. I suppose someone out there may have a better term for the damn things, but I'm calling it like I see it: I feel out of sorts and contrary, and highly liable to explode in tears and screaming if someone so much as breathes wrong or looks at me funny. It's a godd*mned temper tantrum. I won't throw one if I can help it. Mom proved to me at a very young age that I just look stupid doing it... and she's better at them.

Might as well throw in a Cherry Dr. Pepper while I'm at it to soothe the savage beast. Rawr.


*That is a legitimate abbreviation, even with the lowercase letters. Just about everyone says "Fer F.... Sake" at some point

No comments:

Post a Comment