Monday, June 25, 2012

Blaaaaargh

I refuse to brain. I caught the dumb. Again... Still? .... no, it's again.

Long day. Had my performance review. Very fair. Got a 3.86 out of 5. Better than last year. Voiced grievances. Set goals. Let my manager know that I'm truly looking elsewhere because I'm sick and tired of not using my degree. Had manager come back and give me suggestions to help me use my degree and promise to look out for other opportunities to do so that may be within the company. Not what I expected, and not entirely in line with my future goals, but just about anything to get me onto a pure Monday to Friday, 9-6 schedule at this point.

Having to start cutting back on luxuries, making real sacrifices to reach other goals. Not yarn. Not yet. First things first: I get to tackle my salt/chip/meaningless carb addiction. Because it is an addiction. The sugars in the carbs give me a rush, make me feel good for a while. I learned a long time ago that food is not a substitute for an emotion. Now I just have to buckle down, again, and put it into practice. Not gonna be pretty. I can do this though. It's for my health.

Just keep saying that, over and over and over again.


Okay, moving on...


30 Days of Knitting Day 2! Fitting that today I actually take a picture...


Day 2: What is currently on your needles?



This is the only thing I will currently say is "on my needles". There's other stuff, but I'll leave that for tomorrow. The colour balance in this picture is wretched. I would have not used the InstaBlind flash if it was brighter in here, but it's late evening now, and my lamp is woefully underpowered for lighting such a large(ish) space as my living room. The socks for The Other Half that I had a spat with a couple days ago. Heel turned, gusset (re)started and well on its way to completion. Then umpty-tumpty thousand rows of blissful stockinette, and the toe with it's magical Kitchener Stitch after that.
I must be weird. I have to be. The Kitchener Stitch is, for me, like the double underline at the bottoms of a trial balance sheet... or a balance sheet... or an income statement. It is the complete, pure, serene ending to a long series of complicated motions. It says, more purely than anything else could: "This is perfection."  Both are beauty incarnate to me. And just like on a Balance Sheet, two columns, two underlines; two socks, two grafts for two toes.
I wonder if that's why I have the two columns of ribbing down each side of the foot... Huh... Accounting Socks. Go figure.

Oh and to any grammar nit pickers out there: I'm not abusing capitalization. I'm putting it out there for special emphasis. So there. Neener neener.

No comments:

Post a Comment