Saturday, June 16, 2012

Twofer!

I went. I saw. I knit.

If I knew latin, I would attempt to translate, but I don't, so there, neener neener.

Showed up just a couple minutes late to my own event (terrible of me I know) and I didn't see anyone I recognized, so I claimed a chair and procured cappuccino. While getting said delicious beverage (I swear Coffee Exchange makes the best cappies ever), I noticed someone sitting off to the back that seemed to be on the same wavelength as I was. Boy, was I right.

It was Princess Serenity from Ravelry in all her glory. I must say that I thought going into this that I'd find knitters, didn't quite expect to find such an awesome new friend. We sat and chatted and knit and pet yarn. She's working on some scrumptious socks in... oh blast... I can't remember the yarn. Starts with a J... anyways, she'd gotten it in this beautiful set of colours, black through purple and red to hot pink and back again, and cast on for a pair of socks right then and there. That woman, by the by, can throw like a professional. Lightning fast. Had I been on form, I would still have had a hard time keeping up with her. As it was I was nervous, because I'm not usually this extroverted (I just play one on the interwebs). Sorry if I talked too much.

Cheryl showed up later, with incredible thrummed mittens. I was absolutely fascinated by them. Had them on a pair of Knit Picks Harmony wood circs. I have to confess, I was enthralled by her knitting style. She picks,  the method I prefer as well (a.k.a. German/Continental), but her purls were done by wrapping the yarn around the needle, probably in the same way suggested by EZ. I don't know that I could get the hang of it, but I can certainly see the benefit: the stitch is created on the needle so it sits properly. I'm sorry you couldn't stay longer, but it was an absolute delight meeting you.

That was it for the turnout, unfortunately, but I for one had a blast, and anyone that couldn't make it definitely missed out. The Princess and I agreed that we should do this again, so anyone that's in the right Ravelry group, please keep an eye out in the discussion board for future meet ups.

Funniest moment of the day, the one that left me gasping with laughter, occurred when I rounded half the sock and was just changing needles in the middle of the top of the foot. The Princess pointed out what it looked like from her angle. I, being at a different angle, didn't see the resemblance, so she nicely arranged the work in progress to illuminate her insight...


I have done my best to recreate it here, and I think I mostly captured it; however, I have found that socks, before they are socks, try to be something a little higher up the leg. Because it's not just this pair. My first pair, done toe up, did something similar, too.

I wonder if that's where the shoe size euphemism started... I bet it was knitters. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Anyways, thanks for a lovely day, ladies.

1 comment:

  1. It was a fabulous time! So glad to have met you - and yes, you captured it perfectly in your picture!

    Can't wait for our next get-together!

    ReplyDelete