Wednesday, January 18, 2012

One of Those days

Work was work. I blinked and missed most of my day. Did get a bunch done on the sock. Camera is well and truly dead at this point, so I'm thinking of trying to rig something with my webcam. It will be shite and very Not Cool, but it's supposed to be a crafty knitting blog thing that I have here and not just some crazy babble-space. This is supposed to be an outlet, not a wall I bash my head against.

The sock yarn is doing a weird twisting thing with the colours; the toe and ball of the foot was interestingly random, but now... it's just neat. Stood the thing up on my desk last night while I was goofing around online (browsing some very yummy sites like this one and coveting their sock kit from the stars (yes, I am that nerdy)). When I looked at the sock, the part that I'm going to call the 'top' of the foot looks great, so I turned it around to look at the 'bottom' of the foot. There's an obvious line where I picked up stitches from the crochet cast on. A very obvious line. I'm glad I'm putting it on the 'bottom' because if it were on the top, my inner 12-year-old boy wouldn't be able to stop laughing about it. I threatened Phae (once I told her and she laughed) with making her a pair with purple toes and thus began the immature search of Ravelry accompanied by much giggling. (Not linking those patterns here, who knows who may be reading this. If you have a Ravelry account, you can find them yourself).

The other Knitting Broads at work enjoyed my finished scarf (as I'm hoping you all will too once I can get a picture of it posted up here). I worked the Ropes and Ladders Cabled Scarf Pattern from PieKnits, which is totally gorgeous there, in a ball and a bit of Bernat's Naturals Alpaca. I did the "medium" size, so 14 repeats, but, based upon my calculations, with my gauge etc, I could have done much more: size 10 needles had 10 repeats and then 9 lines out of the cabled pattern safely. I'm not sure what I'll do with the leftovers, as I am still apparently plauged by my inability to wear natural fibres.

It's not an allergy per-say but a definite sensitivity; so far: sheep and alpaca yarns have the ability to make me itch like mad, and my skin goes all red and irritated. Now, I am keeping in mind that I haven't had much exposure beyond what's been given to me or purchased by me. I can't say what breed it was, or how it was processed or cleaned or dyed or anything like that. I work with it fine; as evidenced by the scarf, which left my hands unscathed, and the socks, which are a wool/artificial/elastic blend, and my hands remain itch free. But put it near my face, or on my neck or anywhere above my wrists, and it's irritation central. Here's the part that has me worried: during the Hallowe'en sale, I spoiled myself with some Beetlejuice from Nerd Girl Yarns, because it's all my favourite colours, and I love that movie and the cartoon. It's superwash merino. Sheepy. Treated, and spun with some artificial, but still sheepy. I'm so scared that I'll knit myself some seriously wicked socks.... and then won't be able to wear them.

Oh the Huge Manatee!

I know, it's not a life ending prospect. I can give them away to someone who will love them (stop coveting Phae, I can feel it from here), and then make myself something nice out of... cotton... no... not cotton.

Silk.

Dyed in colours more vibrant, more decadent, more fantastical than the mind can fathom. Glorious. Delicious. Luxurious. Scrumptious. Succulent silk.

...

Suddenly... I'm not so bothered by my condition.

P.S. yes, Phae, if the socks bug me, you're first in line to get dibs on them. Yeesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment