Friday, May 11, 2012

The Triumphant Return

Well at least the attempt at one. Camera's fixed so I might actually be able to post some friggin' knitting in this knitting blog. Had some ideas for some other stuff I wanted to go over, but it will all depend on how much of this junk I need to get out of my head.

Had several projects on and then off the needles. Now finished multiple pairs of socks and I'm kind of confused by those that get Second Sock Syndrome. Maybe I'm just too easily amused by yarn that does all sorts of interesting things with it's colours. I should probably learn to take before and after shots to show you what I mean, but that will go on the list of things to do.

Next steps over the coming days... weeks... or however long it takes me to get into the swing of things: document my projects, if only for bragging rights, and put down some of the crazy thoughts that go whizzing through my head.

Sh*t I've Been Up To:
(in no particular order)
1) making socks, toe up and top down, on DPNs
2) joined a yarn club (my very first one! so excited!)
3) worked the Demon Sweater
4) started a Lacy Thing
5) planned out my Christmas Knitting
6) encouraged a (self proclaimed) newbie to make her own Lacy Thing
7) attempted, badly, horribly and atrociously, to design some form of pattern as part of the Christmas Knitting
8) playing lots of computer games (when not working) and thinking about how they fit into my knitting style (which leads into segmenty things I willa ttempt to piece out, har har, as time goes on)

I've also had an idea for a shirt... which reminds me I should check Cafe Press and see if I can do anything about making one for myself.

Ultimately: to make any progress on this thing, and hopefully spare many people their sanity, I have to start taking pictures of my stuff. Is it weird that I like knitting things, but then I don't want to keep them when they're done? I love the process, I love seeing it all come together, but the thought of hanging on to most of it.... It fills me with... oh what's a good word, revulsion? Distaste? It took weeks of one of my Knitting Broads to convince me to make myself a pair of socks out of some yarn I'd bought back on Hallowe'en. I love them, they're comfy and warm, and just right, but I liked knitting them more. Now they're off the needles, I don't feel anything towards them as a finished object.

Probably why I've been making so many pairs of socks for The Other Half (affectionatly abbreviated as TOH). He adores them. Adores them so much that when I made his second pair, and hadn't woven the ends in yet on both socks, he badgered me like a three-year-old wanting a new toy until I had done one of the two. He proceeded to practically snatch the fully completed sock out of my hands, no sooner than I'd put the scissors down, and stuff it in his jacket pocket (we were waiting for a bus at a station). I asked him what he was thinking. The reply: "I'm going to wear it to work tomorrow." I had to boggle, and ask if he was sure, wouldn't he mind because he didn't have the pair. He said: "Doesn't matter. I'll wear a black sock on my other foot. You're not getting this back." in that tone of voice that clearly says 'yea and it shall be written in stone for all time'.

The socks?
Luckily I have a picture, pre-end weaving and separation (the weeping was terrible, I had to go away for a while and the single sock in my possession was nigh inconsolable).


Yeah... wow I need work on my photography skills. The colours are fairly true though. Colourway: This is Halloween from Nerd Girl Yarns on her Bounce and Stomp superwash merino/nylon blend. The toes, heels and top edging are in Knit Picks Stroll sock yarn, basic black. When the yarn was in the hank, and in the ball, the colours seemed to be more melded and they would do an interesting sporadic pattern (I would say "random" but TOH doesn't believe in it). Imagine my surprise when they did this. Completely unplanned, totally sexy self-stripe. 2.5mm DPNs, 72 stitches in the round, with Knitty's fanTABulous Universal Toe Up Sock Pattern.

I couldn't put them down. I had to see if it was going to keep striping. I mean it's not even, but for a second pair of socks, they're the same size, with alternate colours worked in, and the yarn made my heart beat fast. He picked the yarn because it reminded him of Van Gogh. They turned out perfectly. They fit like a dream. He didn't even take them off when.... well... yeah.. He really REALLY likes them.

I should gush on Ravelry.

And try not to sound too creepy when I confess my yarn-crush to the genius behind Nerd Girl....

Don't think it's gonna work but I'll try.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment