Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Change of Plans

Well I was going to blog about the Brown Monstrosity that can be seen off to the side in the photo I took yesterday of the Demon Sweater.

What's that? Need a refresher?


There's the photo, and for good measure:

That's the thing I was talking about, highlighted by the ugly yellow arrow.

Now, if you were to ask anyone who has seen this thing about it, they would probably get a weird look on their face and start talking about my sanity. It also goes along with a discussion about how I, apparently, even with a university education, still have trouble with basic math.

However, I can't properly show you the Brown Monstrosity when I can't photograph it in all its glory. Spread, as it were, out to it's fullest. So it will have to wait until i have enough clean space in my apartment. That or I'll have to take it outside and spread it out on the grass or something to do it justice. Believe me, Knitting Broad N. and The Best Friend are probably both, at this point, going through some form of post traumatic stress thing on my behalf.

Anywho, that's for later, this was just a teaser.

Instead, I'm going to talk, briefly, about hockey, and its usefulness to me, as a Canadian.

I honestly don't think that there's any family in Canada that doesn't have some kind of a tie to hockey. Be they a fan, or a player; a parent, or a child, hockey is a cultural bond in this country that keeps us all together and relating to one another. True there are the classic rivalries (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal comes instantly to mind) that can seem to divide us, but each person is still a fan of the game.

The sport is so prevalent here that it finds its way into the most unlikely homes. Including mine. Now to look at me you wouldn't think I had anything to do with hockey at all. Knitter, bookish, extremely geeky. But I, too, have a little bit of our country's most popular sport in my home:


Yes, that's right, I have my own hockey bag. I treasure what this sport has brought me, for this bag holds the most important thing any fan of hockey really needs:


The stuff to make you warm while you're sitting at an ice rink*.

In other news...

I have put together a little package for my cousin E. who has also gotten nipped by the knitting bug. She likes yellow more than I do so I'm sending her this:



The colours in there are almost completely off. My camera has a flash like a lightning strike. It's horrible. The yarn itself  its kinda more buttery. The grey is almost spot on, little darker in real life, and it's Alpaca! She knows about the yellow (fingering weight, some mystery fibre) but not the Alpaca, nor the plastic thing, which is a full set of Knit Picks DPNs in Harmony. I hope she likes them. Kinda worried though. I forgot how long (or not) four inches can be**.

Oh and TOH? If you're reading this, that's the leftovers. Yes, I finished your scarf. It was done ages ago, it's hiding on the chair in our room. <3


*It's also a really great stash manager: If you can't fit it in the bag, then it doesn't go in your stash. What you can't see from that last shot, is the two afghans I have stuffed in the bottom, one twin sized, one single, and the yarn to finish them. They'll show up in a future post I promise.
**see above re: inability to do simple math

No comments:

Post a Comment